Saturday, March 10, 2007

The Blues are Gone





I took Monday and Tuesday off this week, as I had to visit the Doctor and get back on my BP medicine. Trey and Phil also needed to do some work on the cabins and horse pens as there are going to be 22 people from a horse riding club visiting the ranch next week. The girls also had to go to the Orthodontist and the dog needed grooming.


This week we removed the blue paneling from the front of the building, all of the siding from the south side of the building, and most of the siding in the back. Underneath the blue paneling was some siding that was popular in the 50's . Underneath that was some tar paper with a brick pattern, like asphalt shingles (popular in the 40's). Underneath that we found Noah's Ark, and underneath that we found a few Jurasic fossils. We also tore out the windows in the front and reframed for some larger windows. The siding and wood on the sides and back will be replaced with Hardie Board. We are going to save as much of the wood on the front as we can, but the sides and back are in pretty poor shape. We are going to put an awning/porch on the front, so that will help protect the wood underneath it, but above that, we will need to use Hardie Board as well. Just too many holes and gaps to keep the water out.

The plumber was supposed to show up Thursday, he didn’t show but called and said he would be there Friday morning @ 9:00. He didn’t show. We are now shopping for a new plumber.

Our electrician, John Morey, had to go to Mississippi last weekend to visit a sick relative, but came back today to help us finish the wiring in the dining area. John is doing this job on the side, so he can only give us attention on the weekends. I like John, but he has a tendency to talk over my head. He might as well be speaking German. At one point he said something like, “John, take the 12/3 back to the dilly whopper, pull the 18/23 685 over to the 110, and get the 220 homerun and we’ll pull it back to the panel loop.” I think he saw the glazed look in my eyes and said very slowly, “John, take the 12/3 back to the dilly whopper, pull the 18/23 685 over to the 110, and get the 220 homerun and well pull it back to the panel loop.” I advised John Morey that if he would talk to me like a kindergartener, I could keep up. He still uttered a bunch of google-de-bloop, but I just figured I could pull wire and punch holes until reprimanded.

Next week we plan on hanging the insulation in the dining area so that it can be sheet rocked. I hope an Artic cold front passes Monday morning, as it can get quite warm 16’ up next to that tin roof. I included some pictures of the building front during tear down and John Morey striping the metal clad from the 12/3 on the homerun to the panel loop. I have no idea what I just said.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

10 days since last post!! Whats going on out there??? You kids on vacation already?