Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Busy as a Bee…









The A/C guys are back again, this time I hope it’s the last time I see them for a while. Not that I don’t like them, they’re good guys, but I’m ready for some A/C. It’s not that hot, but we need to check off a box. Steve, one of the owners of the A/C Company has been up here directing the installation and he has guaranteed we will have A/C this week. The spiral duct is up and they are working late tonight putting in registers, return air, and the plenum.

The dirt guy came back last week and has all of the forms up in the back for the retaining wall. The retaining wall is so that all of the water running toward the building will divert toward the candy shop and run in that building. At least that’s what Frances (Shelli’s Mom) is saying. After the retaining wall is up, the privacy fence will be next.

I have tried out my new smoker twice since I’ve had it and all I can say is “You’ve got to be kidding, this thing is awesome!” I’ve done 2 pork shoulders and 1 brisket and I can’t say enough about this piece of equipment. I wasn’t looking forward to getting up at 4 am and starting a fire. I tested out the overnight cook and hold feature and came back in at 9:30 am and the meat was perfect. We served it at our Sunday school class party we hosted last weekend and received great reviews. For those of you familiar with meat smoking, the brisket had a perfect 3/8” smoke ring and was moist and very flavorful! Sorry about the pic of the pork shoulder, all I had was my camera phone.

We now have all of our windows back from repair as of yesterday. Shelli, Luci and Frances have been busy painting windows. There has been a lot of activity since the last post, you could say we’re as busy as a bee. Speaking of bees, they are busy little fellows. I was tearing out an old window frame this morning and noticed a few bees coming and going from where we pulled some siding off 2 months ago. Then I noticed a few more bees and then some more. Phil showed up and asked him how he felt about bees. He feels the same way I do, we don’t need no bees. I went across the street and purchased some wasp and hornet spray and we (Phil) disposed of as many as we (he) could. I watched, from a short distance. I was amazed at how big their honeycomb was for such a short time. If we had not disposed of them, perhaps we could have hired them for some finish out work. They work fast.

I purchased a neon ‘Open’ sign this week and can’t wait to turn it on. Fourth of July is right around the corner and that is our new target date…everyone needs a goal.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are many reported benefits of using bee pollen in prevention and treatment as follows:

Allergies (hay fever, asthma), respiratory infections and digestive problems.
The B-complex vitamins increase energy, decrease nervousness, and combat the effects of stress.
Zinc and other nutrients are essential for repairing tissues and are important in prostate gland problems.
Skin, hair, and fingernails all benefit from pollen, which is often an ingredient in shampoos, creams, and lotions (Have you been reading labels?).
Undesirable side effects of radiation treatments may be relieved by using pollen.
Using bee pollen regularly can build your resistance to colds and flu

Anonymous said...

Snake venom has benifits too, but I don't want them in my yard and I don't want bees in the wall of the restaurant.

You forgot that honey is also delicious on a warm biscuit with butter.

Anonymous said...

Bees, snakes, tarantulas, no A/C - lovely sounding down there!